House; Crescent Bend
2728 Kingston Pike.
in 1834 by Drury Paine Armstrong this historic home was once the
centerpiece of a 600 acre working farm. It is named for it's prominent
setting that provides a panoramic view of the river and mountains.
9000 Kingston Pike.
Baker-Peters House was built c. 1849 by Dr. Harvey Baker. It has
served as a Civil War hospital, when Dr. Baker treated wounded Confederate
soldiers in his home. When discovered by Union troops, they entered
the house and fired through a door, killing Dr. Baker.
200 W. Hill Avenue.*
1792, following the signing of the Treaty of the Holston, William
Blount began construction on the building that was to serve as his
family home and as the territorial capital for the Territory of
the United States South of the River Ohio. Blount Mansion is the
only building in Knox County to be recognized as a National Historic
Elementary School was built in 1913 and enlarged in 1926. The School
was named for Colonel John Bell Brownlow, who was one of the developers
of the neighborhoods surrounding the school. The Neoclassical style
school was one of the first model elementary schools built in Knox
602-604 S. Gay Street*
Burwell Building was built in 1907 and was the tallest building
in downtown Knoxville when built. It was designed by Richards, McCarty
and Bulford of Columbus, Ohio in the Second Renaissance Revival
style. In 1928, the Tennessee Theater was added to the Burwell Building;
the theater was designed by Graven and Magyer, architects from Chicago.
The George A. fuller Construction Company of New York constructed
Offices and Showroom
4450 Candora Avenue.
J. Craig, III incorporated the Candoro Marble Company in 1914. The
name came from the first letters of the last names of its founders,
John J. Craig, F. C. Anderson, W. J. Donaldson
and S. A. Rodgers. The company acquired land on Maryville
Pike in 1914 and began construction of a massive marble processing
facility and the Candoro Office Building, which was designed by
1053 Craigland Court
James Craig, III built Craiglen in 1926 in the Italian Renaissance
style. The house was designed by Charles Barber, with the gardens
designed by Charles Lester.
1060 World’s Fair Park Drive.
Littlefield, Steere and Sanders Factory, a manufacturer of candies,
located at the Candy Factory c. 1925, constructing a Commercial
Vernacular building with Art Deco influences. The building was rehabilitated
during the 1982 World’s Fair.
Cansler Building is a Commercial Vernacular style building built
by Charles W. Cansler, noted African-American educator, entrepreneur
and community leader.
City Historic District
(Washington and Jefferson Avenues) *
Edgewood-Park City Historic District is a streetcar suburb which
contains late 19th and early 20th century
styles, and is particularly noteworthy for the number of buildings
designed by George F. Barber, a Knoxville architect known for his
published house plans that emphasized the decorative elements of
1517 Emoriland Boulevard
1927 Dutch Colonial Revival Emory House represents suburban expansion
and the significance of The Emory family in the development of this
section of Knoxville.
Neighborhood Conservation District
Emoriland and Fairmont east of N. Broadway.
by Charles M. Emory when he laid out streets and building lots sold
at auction in 1924, the styles range from Craftsman to the revival
styles of the early 20th century.
3000 Fort Dickerson Road
Dickerson is an earthworks fort located south of downtown Knoxville
and formed part of the defense perimeter of Knoxville during the
Neighborhood Conservation District
1645 Clinch *
brick apartment building was constructed in the early 20th
century, and is typical of urban apartment buildings of that era.
Sanders-The Seven Houses
402, 404, 406 & 414 Eleventh St., 1011, 1012 and 1016 Laurel *
houses on the western boundary of the World’s Fair site were built
in the 1880’s and rehabilitated during the 1982 World’s Fair.
Gill Historic District
Eleanor, Luttrell, Gratz, N. Fourth, Deery and Gill. *
& Gill is named for two intersecting streets in the neighborhood,
and was originally a part of North Knoxville, which developed with
expansion of the streetcar lines beginning in the 1870s. The district
houses a variety of late 19th and early 20th
century styles, including Italianate, Queen Anne, Neoclassical and
1213 Laurel *
Frost-Shagan House is recognized for its architecture and its setting.
Gay Street crossing the Tennessee River
Gay Street Bridge opened to traffic on July 9, 1898 and was the
fifth bridge to span the Tennessee at this location. The first was
a temporary pontoon bridge put in place shortly after 1863. The
second was also built Union General Ambrose E. Burnside, and was
a permanent bridge with stone supporting piers. It washed away in
a flood in March, 1867. The third bridge was opened on May 2, 1875,
and was blown down by a tornado. The fourth bridge across the Tennessee
was built by G. W. Saulpaw in 1890 and was replaced by the Gay Street
Bridge. The current bridge was designed by Charles E. Fowler, who
was with the Youngstown (Ohio) Bridge Company and is a steel arched
107 Gill Avenue
Victorian-era house was reportedly built utilizing trimwork from
a demolished downtown Knoxville hotel.
6304 Westland Drive
Craig was built on land originally granted to William Lyon who daughter
married John Craig, Jr. The house on Westland was original built
in 1888 as a summer house by the Craigs. Their daughter and her
husband converted the summer house to a permanent residence and
in 1926 hired the architectural firm of Barber and McMurray to design
the remodeling and additions using the Tudor Revival style. The
gardens were designed by Charles Lester.
– Dempster Bridge
Henley Street at the Tennessee River.
Henley Bridge was dedicated on January 2, 1932, and was designed
by Marsh Engineering Co., Des Moines, Iowa. It was named for Col.
David Henley, a pioneer in Knoxville and Tennessee who was the War
Agent of the Territory South of the Ohio River. In 1964, the bridge
was renamed by the Knoxville City Council as the George R. Demster
Memorial Bridge, but common usage has retained the Henley name for
Avenue Historic District
Corner of Jackson and Central. *
buildings, including Sullivan’s Saloon and some of the brick warehouses
along Jackson Avenue are included in this local historic district.
The age of the districts’ buildings ranges through the 1870s and
205 E. Hill Avenue
White Fort, built originally in 1785, has been relocated several
times, but has been in this location since the 1950s. The two story
log home and its outbuildings are illustrative of the form of early
settlement in East Tennessee.
1006 Major Reynolds Place
was completed in 1851 as a home for Major Robert Reynolds, with
construction supervised by his sister, Rebecca, while he was serving
in the Mexican War. It was used as Confederate headquarters by General
Longstreet . The house was built in the Federal style and modified
with Neoclassical details in the 1880s.
300 Main Street
Knox County Courthouse was built in 1885 by the Knoxville firm of
Stephenson and Getaz, reportedly from plans prepared by Palliser
& Palliser, Architects, of New York City. The cost of construction
was approximately $82,000.00, with $1,278.20 paid for the plan of
the building. The Courthouse committee was directed in 1886 to employ
someone to keep the new clock in order, and a 2,500 pound bell was
installed in the same year. New wings were added to each side of
the courthouse when the Court voted to make funds available for
that purpose in July of 1919.
101 E. Fifth Avenue
High School was built in 1909-1910, with additions made in 1914
and 1920. It is Neoclassical with a Beaux Arts influence. The imposing
building was designed by Albert Baumann, Sr., who founded the architectural
firm of Baumann and Baumann with his brother Joseph in 1891. The
firm is known for its use of red brick trimmed with limestone, and
Knoxville High School is a noteworthy example of that use of materials.
Knoxville High School was known as the outstanding improvement to
the Knoxville School System in the early 1900’s. Knoxville’s first
citywide school, it was Knoxville’s only high school for many years.
The additions made in 1914 and 1920 more than doubled its size and
by 1923, its enrollment was 2,030 students. Many of its facilities
were also used by the community at large, with its auditorium serving
as a community theater and other school spaces being used as community
Office and Federal Building
501 Main Street
by Baumann and Baumann and built in 1930 in the Moderne style with
Art Deco ornamentation. The building made extensive use of East
Tennessee marble and Crab Orchard stone.
801S. Gay Street *
original Georgian and Federal styling of the Lamar House has been
altered. The Lamar House was built as a residence c.1816 with renovations
c.1900-1909 giving the building its present appearance.
6341 Middlebrook Pike
Lones-Dowell House is build on land settled by Jacob Lones in the
late 1700s. The home, which dates from c.1857, was probably built
by Charles Lones, his son.
Pike Historic District
5220, 5308 and 5305 Lyons View Pike
Lyons View Pike Historic Overlay District draws its first historic
significant from its association with early Knox County resident
William Lyon and Knoxville’s frontier expansion. The buildings along
Lyons View Pike represent the community and financial leadership
and status of its early 20th century residents, including
Hal B. Mebane, Jr. (Georgian Revival – 5308 Lyons View (1931), N.
E. Logan (Tudor Revival – 5220 Lyons View (1929), and J. Allen Smith
(Italian Renaissance Revival – 5305 Lyons View, (1905). The district
is an excellent example of automobile related suburban expansion
in the first third of the 20th century. Finally, the
buildings are some of the best local representations of national
trends in architectural design. They were designed by regionally
noteworthy architect Charles I. Barber, whose skill in interpreting
the revival styles popular in this time period is widely accepted.
1711 Dandridge Avenue
c.1858 in Italianate style with Greek Revival influences, the house
was built by Joseph Alexander Mabry, Jr., political leader and railroad
entrepreneur, who dedicated Market Square to Knoxville and later
owned by Rush Strong Hazen, local business leader married to Mabry’s
Square was founded in 1854 on land given to the city for a market
place by William G. Swan and Joseph A. Mabry. Although the market
house formerly located in the center of the square has been demolished,
the buildings lining the square illustrate the architecture of 19th
and 20th century commercial Knoxville, and originally
housed commercial uses on the ground floor with residences on upper
3004 Kingston Pike *
house was built by J.D. McIntire and Mary Stillman McIntire in 1922
in Tudor Revival style.
Deaderick, Carrick, Arthur, Oak, Tulip and Hannah *
developed as housing for the Knoxville Iron Foundary and the rail
yards to the east of the neighborhood, and contains an eclectic
mix of Victorian-era and early 20th century styles, with
dwellings that reflect the economic status of mill workers and mill
owners, the Mechanicsville Fire Hall, Moses School, and commercial
buildings along Western Avenue.
445 S. Gay Street *
Department Store built the corner building in 1905, with a 1911
addition to the north in the same Edwardian style as the original
building. The third expansion was made in 1935 in the Art Deco style.
In 1998, the rehabilitation of the three buildings was undertaken,
with the recreation of original details and the return of the buildings
to their earliest appearance.
447 N. Broadway
Minvilla was designed by Baumann Brothers and built by H. Clay Bondurant
in 1913. Brimer and England were the contractors. Two buildings
comprise the development, with ten attached rowhouse units facing
West Fifth Avenue and three attached units facing North Broadway.
The current façade obscures, but did not remove, the original
façade, and was installed in the 1950s. Plans are being made
to restore the buildings.
Old City Hall
601 W Summit Hill Drive *
City Hall’s historic name is Tennessee School for the Deaf. It is
a cluster of 4 two and three story brick buildings in Greek Revival,
Italianate and Neoclassical styles, with the oldest building built
in 1848. It was the Tennessee School for the Deaf from 1848 to 1924,
and the Knoxville City Hall from 1925 to 1980.
Old Gray Cemetery
543 North Broadway *
Gray Cemetery was dedicated in 1852 and is significant for its fencing,
design, grave markers, and the porter’s lodge and gateposts on Broadway.
The cemetery is closely tied to the history of Knoxville from 1850
forward, and many of Knoxville’s noteworthy residents from that
historically significant period are buried there.
Old North Knoxville
E. Scott, E. Oklahoma, W. Glenwood, Armstrong,* Grainger & Leonard
Place, 1164 Armstrong
in Old North Knoxville date from the late 19th and early
20th centuries and primarily reflect Queen Anne, Neoclassical,
and Craftsman styles. The neighborhood was part of the town of North
Knoxville, one of Knoxville’s streetcar suburbs, and contains both
the large mansions of industrialists and the smaller workers’ cottages
reflective of Knoxville’s industrial and economic growth after the
422 W. Cumberland Avenue*
Park House construction (c.1790;181201813; c.1830;1945;1968) is
attributed several owners beginning with Governor John Sevier, who
reported built the house’s foundation but never completed the house.
James Dunlap bought the lot and foundation, and in turn sold the
property to James Park in 1812. Park, born in Ireland in 1770, completed
the house and added an ell in 1830. The Knoxville Academy of Medicine
purchased the house in 1945, which carried out some repairs and
in 1968 built a large addition that was an auditorium at the rear
of the house. Current rehabilitation plans include removing that
addition and restoring the house to its original footprint.
1943 Tennessee Avenue.*
Gardens was established in 1947 by Ivan Racheff, the owner of Knoxville
Iron Company. The designation includes the former office building
of the Knoxville Iron Works, built in 1902 and converted by Racheff
to an office and apartment. The building now houses the Tennessee
Federation of Garden Clubs’office; the Federation maintains the
Neighborhood Conservation District
architecture of the Tazewell Pike district spans 100 years, between
1860 and 1960, with a range of styles that reflect those years and
a setting that reflects the significant roadway – Tazewell Pike
– that they are centered along.
Linden at Winona
land where the Temple Beth El Cemetery is located was purchased
in 1857 by Mayor, Lyons and Co., and Solomon Lyons, one of the partner
in that firm, offered the lot as a burial ground. The Knoxville
Hebrew Benevolent Association (which became Temple Beth El) was
formally organized in 1864 and the land was conveyed to them. The
first person interred in the cemetery was likely Isaac Stern, who
was buried on March 10, 1861. The second interment was that of Joseph
Schwab on March 10, 1861.
Greater Warner Tabernacle AME Zion Church in Knoxville was reportedly a station for fugitive slaves on their way to Kentucky and Ohio. The church was established in 1845, 20 years before slavery officially ended in Tennessee. It is recognized as the oldest of Knoxville's black churches although there was no actual building until the late 1800s.
U. S. Customs
House and Post Office
600 Market Street
U.S. Post Office and Customs House was built between 1869-73 and
was probably the first building in Knoxville designed by a professional
architect. U. S. Treasury Department Supervising Architect Alfred
Mullett designed the building and supervised its construction. The
U.S. Post Office and Customs House was built at a time when Congress
was being petitioned to build Federal buildings in many cities across
the country. They were loath to fund buildings that housed only
post offices and courtrooms, although many communities requested
them. The title "customs house" was attached to many of
these buildings, because the U.S. Congress was more amenable to
providing funding if the possibility of revenue from customs duties
on foreign goods was anticipated in the title of the buildings.
The US Post Office and Customs House provided space for Knoxville’s
post office on its first floor, with courtrooms and other federal
offices located on the upper two floors. The U. S. Post Office and
Customs House is built of East Tennessee marble, in the Renaissance
* Also listed
on the National Register of Historic Places.